On June 25, 2018, four major online retailers, Alibaba (for AliExpress), Amazon, eBay, Rakuten-France, and the European Commission signed a Product Safety Pledge to remove dangerous products in which they committed to the following for the benefit of European consumer safety:
- “React within two working days to authorities’ notices made to the companies’ contact points to remove listings offering unsafe products. Companies should follow up and inform the authorities on the action taken.
- Provide a clear way for customers to notify dangerous product listings. Such notices are treated expeditiously and appropriate response is given within five working days.
- Consult information on recalled/dangerous products available on the EU Rapid Alert System for dangerous non-food products and also from other sources, such as from enforcement authorities and take appropriate action with respect to the products concerned, when they can be identified.
- Provide specific single contact points for EU Member State authorities for the notifications on dangerous products and for the facilitation of communication on product safety issues.
- Take measures aimed at preventing the reappearance of dangerous product listings already removed.
- Provide information/training to sellers on compliance with EU product safety legislation, require sellers to comply with the law, and provide sellers with the link to the list of EU product safety legislation.”
See the full European Commission press release here.